Pro and Con Sources on Controversies about the Theosophical Society
Pro and Con Sources
Dr. James Santucci, a scholar of comparative religion, and editor of Theosophical History wrote:
“All too often, this subject [Theosophy & Blavatsky], when it is discussed in scholarly circles, is presented in a most unscholarly fashion. Falsehoods are perpetuated and original research is not actively pursued.”
- Why Take Blavatsky Seriously? by David Reigle.
- Madame Blavatsky, Buddhism and Tibet by Leslie Price.
- Is Theosophy Authentic? by Franklin Merrell-Wolff.
- Notes on Madame Blavatsky’s Baboon by W. T. S. Thackara.
- The Truth About Madame Blavatsky by Walter A. Carrithers, Jr. Published by the Blavatsky Foundation. Refutes various accusations by Gertrude Marvin Williams, an HPB biographer.
- H. P. Blavatsky and The Society for Psychical Research by Grace F. Knoche.
- The Coulomb Conspiracy Against Theosophy by Charles J. Ryan.
- The Society for Psychical Research and the Theosophical
- Phenomena: The Report of the S.P.R. on Madame Blavatsky by the editors of Theosophy Magazine.
- Obituary: The “Hodgson Report” on Madame Blavatsky by Walter A. Carrithers, Jr. Published by The Blavatsky Foundation. New Preface by Leslie Price.
- The “Hodgson Report” on Madame Blavatsky by Walter A. Carrithers, Jr.
- H. P. Blavatsky and the SPR by Vernon Harrison. An examination of Richard Hodgson’s Report of 1885 against Madame Blavatsky with a special study of the handwriting of the Mahatma Letters.
- Defence of Madame Blavatsky, Volume I, 1937. by Beatrice Hastings.
- New Universe “Try”: A Review devoted to the defence of Madame Blavatsky edited by Beatrice Hastings.
Vol. 1. No.1 July 1937, No. 2 December 1937, No. 3 February 1938
- Solovyoff’s Fraud: Being a critical analysis of “A Modern Priestess of Isis” by Vsevolod S. Solovyoff. by Beatrice Hastings.
- The Hall of Magic Mirrors by Victor Endersby. This book published in 1969 is a study of H.P. Blavatsky’s life and work with a special look at the attacks against her including an analysis of the Hodgson Report. Not online anymore.
- The Coulomb Case. by Michael Gomes. Important source. Not online. See ordering information.
- The Coulomb Case: Some Suggested Reading — Pro and Con.
- “Paranormal Features of Some of the Appearances of the Mahatmas” by Daniel H. Caldwell. Also see Endnote.
- “The Great Mare’s Nest of the Psychical Research Society” by Annie Besant.
- H.P. Blavatsky and the Masters of the Wisdom by Annie Besant.
- Concerning H.P.B.: An Examination into the So-called Proofs of Fraud on the Part of Madame Blavatsky. by Samuel Studd.
- The Book of Dzyan Research Reports by David Reigle.
- Blavatsky and Buddhism by Richard P. Taylor. Shows that many elements of Blavatsky’s Theosophy can be found in Tibetan Buddhism – in both relatively esoteric and relatively exoteric sources – but not available to western students or scholarship in her time. This conclusion adds substantial validation to her claims concerning her trans-himalayan sources.
- Some Account of My Intercourse with Madame Blavatsky from 1872 to 1884. by Emma Coulomb. London Edition, 1885.
- The Theosophical Society: Russian Intrigue or Religious Evolution? by Richard Hodgson. Hodgson considered H.P. Blavatsky a fraud, pure and simple.
- Critical Historical Review of The Theosophical Society by William Emmette Coleman. An extremely hostile expose of Madame Blavatsky.
- The Sources of Madame Blavatsky’s Writings by William Emmette Coleman.
- Parallel Columns: What Does This Mean? by Daniel H. Caldwell
- Tracing the Source of Tibetan Phrases Found in Mahatma Letters #54 and #92. by Antonios Goyios.
- Blavatsky Unveiled! by Elliott Coues. Another hostile expose of Madame Blavatsky.
- “Theosophy, Madame Blavatsky and Mrs. Besant.” by John Nicol Farquhar.
- Theosophy Versus Neo-Theosophy compiled by Margaret Thomas.
- Life After Death in Kamaloka (the Astral World): H.P. Blavatsky versus C.W. Leadbeater compiled by Ray Morgan.
- H.P. Blavatsky and K. Paul Johnson compiled by Katinka Hesselink.
- K. Paul Johnson’s House of Cards?: Critical Examination of Johnson’s Thesis on the Theosophical Masters Morya & Koot Hoomi by Daniel H. Caldwell.
- The Theosophical Mahatmas: A Critique of Paul Johnson’s New Myth by David Pratt.
- The Testimony of Emma Coulomb & Richard Hodgson Concerning the Appearances of the Mahatmas.
- The Blavatsky/Tibet and Stanzas of Dzyan Connection by Grigor V. Ananikian.
- Some Reflections on the Note by Grigor V. Ananikian about “The Blavatsky/Tibet and Stanzas of Dzyan Connection” by Jean-Louis Siémons.
- The Myth of the “Missing” Third Volume of The Secret Doctrine by Daniel H. Caldwell.